From the Principal
A. MacArthur Barr 5-6 Academy for Excellence and Barr Middle School
Attendance Procedures and Protocols
In the event your child shows signs and symptoms of illness, we ask that you keep them home and notify our attendance secretary, Kari Kresback, at 627-4420 to report the absence.
If your child or a family member tests positive for COVID, please contact our Nurse Director, Mrs. Maura Hanigan, R.N, directly at 627-9810 or email@example.com. At this time, students who have tested COVID-positive, been identified as a close contact by Rockland County Department of Health or are awaiting a PCR test result are eligible for virtual instruction throughout the duration of their illness or quarantine period. Please visit your school’s website for further building-specific information regarding this process. If you have any other questions about your child’s ability to attend live instruction due to his/her individual COVID situation, please contact Mr. Guccione or Mrs. Chen at 627-4040.
As a reminder, students will be marked unexcused late to class unless the reason for their late arrival is directly due to a bus arriving late or another unavoidable scenario such as documented appointment, weather, or traffic issue outside of our drop-off line. Students arriving late to school must report to the attendance office for a pass before heading to class.
The following procedures are in place at this time:
- Unexcused lateness will result in consequences as follows:
- First late: verbal reminder from attendance office
- Second late: verbal reminder and phone call to parent from attendance office*
- Third late: letter sent home and after school detention
- Cycle begins again but phone call from AP* or principal*
- If a child is not present in school, they will be marked absent. Please call the attendance secretary, Kari Kresback, at 627-4420 to inform her of the absence. If your child is absent due to a vetted COVID-related situation, a daily call is not necessary.
- Students missing class can keep up with their coursework by visiting Schoology and contacting each teacher individual for course-specific information.
- The only exception to the above procedures is if a child is under a DOH Quarantine, not caused due to travel restrictions. If a child is under a DOH quarantine due to testing positive or exposure, the following will occur:
- Parents will notify the school nurse, Giovanna Conklin, at 627-4041 and provide proper documentation from the DOH or health care provider.
- The classroom teachers will explain to students the procedures for continued learning during their absence due to quarantine.
- Please note that the vetting process can take up to two days. This may delay some of your child’s at-home resources so your patience with the teachers is very much appreciated as we navigate the upcoming days.
- Attending zooms does not determine attendance status except for vetted COVID-related absences and will be addressed as needed on a case by case basis.
NEWS From the NURSE:
Please welcome Giovanna Conklin, RN to the Barr Middle School health office full-time for the 2021-2022 school year. Ms. Conklin has been the Nanuet District float nurse for 2 years. Mrs. Cathy White, RN will be the current district float nurse. If you have any questions regarding physicals or Family ID, please contact Mrs. Giovanna Conklin, RN.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
BARR PTA -- Click here for information from the PTA
HS: Ensembles ConcertNanuet Union Free School District
Late Deadline for 2/12 ACTNanuet Union Free School District
Elementary PTA MeetingNanuet Union Free School District
Important Phone Numbers
Barr Main Office......627-4040
A. MacArthur Barr Middle School
143 Church Street, Nanuet, NY 10954